Norfolk Southern awards US rail shippers for safe handling of chemicals
The award, given annually for 18 years, goes to chemical manufacturers and facilities that ship at least 1,000 carloads of hazardous product on Norfolk Southern without a single incident.
Norfolk Southern Corp. announced Friday that 60 chemical
customers will receive the Thoroughbred Chemical Safety
Award for their safe business practices in 2013.
Collectively, these customers safely shipped more than
157,000 carloads of hazardous chemical products over the
railroad's network during the year.
The award, given annually for 18 years, goes to chemical
manufacturers and facilities
that ship at least
1,000 carloads of hazardous product on Norfolk Southern
without a single incident. In 2013, 55 corporations and five
plants achieved the standard.
Carload shipments included industrial chemicals used to
manufacture various consumer goods, crude petroleum, ethanol
, and fertilizers. While
essential to the US economy and consumers, these chemicals
are classified as federally regulated hazardous materials and
are potentially dangerous if mishandled.
Norfolk Southern works closely with chemical customers
throughout the year to ensure their product arrives safely to
destination, including offering training in safe
"We commend these valued business partners for their absolute
commitment to safety," said Norfolk Southern CEO Wick
Moorman. "Their efforts might not make news headlines, but
the safe movement of chemicals that are the building blocks
to jobs and a strong economy is the good news story that
occurs every day across our rail network. We thank these
customers for helping us demonstrate that rail is the safest,
most efficient, and environment
ally friendly way to
transport consumer goods."
Customers earning the Thoroughbred Chemical Safety
Award for 2013 are:
- Abengoa Bioenergy
- Akzo Nobel Chemicals Inc.
- The Andersons, Inc.
- Apex Terminal
- ArcelorMittal USA
- Ascend Performance Materials LLC
- Aux Sable Liquid Products Inc.
- Axiall Corp
- Bayer MaterialScience LLC
- BioUrja Trading, LLC
- BP Products North America
- Centennial Energy, LLC
- Chemtrade Logistics Inc.
- Connacher Oil and Gas Limited
- Delaware City Refining LLC plant in
- Eastman Chemical Company
- Eighty-Eight Oil LLC
- Elbow River Marketing Ltd.
- Equistar Chemicals, LP
- ERCO Worldwide
- ExxonMobil Chemical Company
- Finnchem USA Inc.
- Formosa Plastics Corporation, U.S.A.
- Green Plains Renewable Energy
- Haverhill Chemicals
- Husky Energy Inc.
- The International Group Inc.
- Kemira Water Solutions
- Lima Refining Company
- Louis Dreyfus Commodities
- MarkWest Energy Partners, L.P.
- Mitsubishi Gas Chemical America, Inc.
- Murphy Oil USA
- Musket Corporation
- NorFalco Inc.
- NOVA Chemicals
- Nucor Steel
- Occidental Chemical Corp
- Olin Chlor Alkali Products plant at North Charleston,
- One Earth Energy LLC
- Oxbow Sulphur Inc.
- PCS Phosphate plant at White Springs, Fla.
- Plains Marketing, L.P.
- Plains Midstream Canada
- POET Ethanol Products
- The Procter & Gamble Co.
- PVS Chemicals, Inc.
- Renewable Products Marketing Group
- Shell Trading Canada
- Shell Trading (US) Company
- Solvay Chemicals
- Southwest Iowa Renewable Energy, LLC
- Sunbelt Chlor Alkali Partnership plant at McIntosh,
- Sunoco Logistics
- Targa Resources
- Toledo Refining Company LLC plant at
- Valero Marketing & Supply
- Westlake Chemical